PLASTER & COATING SYSTEMS
Perlite based plaster offers the only organic mineral based coating available.
It is used around the world, offering cost savings throughout the supply process. Its lightweight means for lower transport, application and structural costs and once emplaced it offers excellent insulation against noise, fire, vermin and climate.
Laboratory and field tests have proven perlite/sand concrete is suitable for use over structural forms such as corrugated steel, rib steel or cellular steel floor units and plywood sub-floors and ideal as a base for a wide variety of floor materials including carpet, tiles and hardwoods.
Perlite based plaster has endless unique properties accounting for its ready acceptance and widespread use by many leading architects, general contractors and plastering contractors.
- Lightweight: Perlite plaster is only one third the weight of sanded plaster. Lightness in weight also permits the plasterer to maintain his optimum production for the full working day with much less effort.
- Fireproofing: National bodies have been swift to recognize the advantages of superior fire protection and potential cost reductions afforded by perlite/plaster fireproofing and have modernized codes to take full use of this. Fire tests at the underwriter’s laboratories have resulted in ratings as high as 4 hours for plaster containing perlite.
- Insulating: Perlite possesses millions of tiny air particles and in turn permanent insulation cavities that reduce heat transmission losses. Perlite adds a high thermal insulation value to plaster.
- Better Workability: Its sharpness has similar workability to that of sand. Plasterers because of its ease of handling and simplicity appreciate it.
- Crack Resistant: Perlite/plaster has a high degree of resiliency ensuring less cracking.
- Base Coat Plaster: Perlite is an ideal aggregate for all general (base coat) plastering. On many jobs it costs no more than ordinary sand plaster. It mixes with both gypsum plaster and cement for the scratch and brown coats.
- Acoustics: Perlite acoustic plaster is an efficient, economical and attractive sound absorbent plaster that can be handled by any skilled laborer. It can be washed and redecorated, is of proper hardiness, and can withstand normal wear and tear without dusting and disintegration.
- This natural white finish has an attractive no-glare surface texture remaining vermin-proof, with high insulation due to its low thermal conductivity.
Combined with the use of AUSPERL perlite for loose-fill insulation in concrete blocks, true household energy efficiency is possible.
LINKS TO ARTICLES